Multiple award-winning global technology editor and writer, with almost 20 years of newsroom and field experience in Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Middle East.
Acting Business Editor, WIRED
London | January 2023 — November 2023
- Co-ran WIRED’s global business desk from London, managing a team of three reporters in the UK and US and coordinating a network of freelancers in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East;
- Created and executed a strategy for growing the publication’s non-US tech coverage, focusing in particular on China and India;
- Expanded the publication’s non-US ‘big swings’ and investigations, and built partnerships with other media, including the Organised Crime and Corruption Reporting Project and Handelsblatt, the latter resulting in a major scoop using leaked internal documents from the automaker Tesla;
- Conceived and executed special editorial packages, including a print and digital series marking 500 days of full-scale conflict in Ukraine; reported from the ground in Kyiv and Lviv.
Freelance Editor & Writer
London | August 2022 — January 2023
- Wrote features and investigations for WIRED, Bloomberg Businessweek, GQ, MIT Tech Review, Nikkei and Insider; Secured a grant from the Pulitzer Center for Crisis Reporting to produce an investigation into the long-term social impacts of crypto mining in Kazakhstan;
- Created an interactive digital guide to online safety for CNN.
Enterprise Editor / Asia Editor, Rest of World
Singapore | August 2020 — August 2022
- Established the Asia editorial operations of a New York-based non-profit focused on the social impact of technology. Wrote, commissioned and edited news, features and comment from South, Southeast and East Asia. Developed co-reporting and localisation strategies for the newsroom; authored the publication’s China strategy. Managed and mentored reporters;
- Oversaw investigative journalism, including substantial scoops on TikTok, Twitter and Facebook, Sourced and investigated a leaked client database from an international “reputation management company,” reporting out its links to prominent figures in business and politics worldwide;
- Conceived, commissioned, edited and reported two enterprise projects: The Global Gig Workers, a data-led investigation into the experience of platform workers in 15 countries, combining original survey data with traditional reporting and analysis; and In the Dark, a six-month-long investigation into the use of internet blackouts and the proliferation of censorship technology in authoritarian states.
Cover Story Editor, Nikkei Asia
Tokyo | August 2019 — August 2020
- Led the Tokyo features desk and flagship editorial projects for a joint venture between the Financial Times and Nikkei;
- Oversaw a team of editors and designers to build print and digital feature packages; Managed a network of freelance and staff reporters across Asia and North America and coordinated reporting projects across desks and bureaus;
- Led the magazine’s feature coverage of the Hong Kong protest movement, the U.S.-China trade war and the emergence of Covid-19, winning multiple Society of Publishers in Asia and WAN-IFRA awards for editorial and design;
- Led the features desk in the transition from a print-based “cover story” to a digital-first “big story,” retaining the substance and tradition of the physical product while moving to a more flexible process and format.
Freelance Editor, Reporter & Editorial Consultant
Singapore & London | April 2012 — August 2019
- Wrote features and investigations on the environment, politics, economics and technology from Southeast Asia, Latin America and Sub-Saharan Africa for WIRED, the Atlantic, Nikkei Asia, Newsweek, the Wall Street Journal, Forbes and Vice;
- Launched Raconteur Magazine, an international affairs freesheet, for Raconteur Media in 2016. Oversaw strategy, recruitment, design and editorial direction. Edited the first six issues, and oversaw the launch of digital products;
- Worked with Citywire Asia in Singapore to train and mentor staff and oversee newsroom reform;
- Consulted on the launch of The World Weekly, a startup global news publication, and Gateway to Africa, a diaspora-focused South African publication in London. Consulted on an editorial and design refresh of African Business magazine;
- Edited and commissioned Africa-focused digital content for CNN;
- Covered IMF, World Bank and EBRD meetings in Washington DC, Warsaw and Istanbul for Emerging Markets magazine;
- Worked as a freelance political risk analyst at the Economist Intelligence Unit, focusing on Central Africa and the Indian Ocean.
Business Editor, Huffington Post UK
London | October 2011 — March 2012
- Launched and managed the business section of the newly-created Huffington Post UK. Expanded the title’s coverage of the European financial crisis and UK economy. Edited and managed the global front-page during breaking news events, including the deaths of Kim Jong-il and Muammar Gaddafi.
Digital Producer, CNBC Europe
London | April 2011 — October 2011
- Wrote, commissioned and edited business, economics and politics news for an international audience. Prepared and presented stories on air;
- Ran global homepage, coordinated breaking news coverage with international offices in North America, Asia and the Middle East. Worked on digital coverage of the Arab Spring, Eurozone crisis and London riots.
Editor, This is Africa, Financial Times
London | September 2008 — April 2011
- Oversaw the launch of an award-winning Africa-focused business and current affairs magazine for the Financial Times Ltd. Set overall editorial and design concepts. Wrote, commissioned and edited features and news;
- Managed and trained freelance and staff contributors. Worked with external organisations, including the United Nations Development Programme and World Economic Forum on joint projects.
Staff Writer, FT Mandate
London | July 2007 — September 2008
- Covered emerging markets and technology for Financial Times Ltd’s titles FT Mandate, Professional Wealth Management and the FTfm fund management supplement.
Various Editorial Roles
London | October 2004 — July 2007
- Writing and editing roles, including: News Editor, Screen Markets; European Reporter, Waters Technology; Researcher, Initiative Europe Consulting; Editor, Durrants.
- Society of Publishers in Asia, Award of Excellence in Technology Journalism, 2022;
- Fetisov Journalism Awards, Contribution to Civil Rights, 2022;
- British Society of Magazine Editors, Fiona Macpherson Award for New Business Editor of the Year, 2010;
- Diageo Africa Business Reporting Awards, Journalist of the Year, 2011.
- Publication of the Year, This is Africa, Diageo Africa Business Reporting Awards, 2010.
Education: Imperial College, London — BSc. (Hons, ARCS), Physics, 2001 - 2004